This dish is popular in many west African countries. Jollof rice traditionally consists of rice, cooking oil, vegetables such as tomato, onion, red pepper, garlic, ginger and chilli peppers.
2 tbsp sunflower oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
400gm chopped tomato
1 red pepper chopped and deseeded
2 tbsp tomato puree
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp curry powder
1 Bay leaf
Sprig fresh thyme
600ml chicken or vegetable stock
225g basmati or long grain rice, rinsed under cold water
4 boneless chicken breasts
1.Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan. Cook the onion and garlic over a gentle heat for 4-5 minutes until soft.
2. Stir in the chopped tomatoes, red pepper, and tomato puree. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Add the chilli powder, curry powder, bay leaf, and thyme, then pour in the stock.
4. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Add the rice. Bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed.
6. Brush the chicken with the remaining oil. Griddle for 5-6 minutes on each side, until cooked through and golden.