This recipe is best served warm and is perfect for a healthy snack. The spring onions give it an interesting texture and taste.
1 tbsp baking powder
250g coarse cornmeal (polenta)
5 spring onion,finely chopped
1 tsp salt
2 large eggs
300 ml buttermilk or milk or plain yogurt with a squeeze of lemon juice
50g butter melted and cooled
20 cm (8 in)square cake tin
Butter to grease tin
1. Butter the square cake tin. Line the base with baking paper. Preheat the oven to 200c (400f/gas 6)
2. In a large bowl, add the baking powder, cornmeal, spring onions and salt. Mix well with a wooden spoon.
3. Put the eggs, buttermilk, and melted
butter in a measuring jug and mix together.
4. Pour the egg mixture into the dry ingredients and stir well to combine everything.
5. Pour and then smooth the mixture in the tin. Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden.
6. Allow to cool for 10 minutes. Remove the baking paper and cut into 24 squares.