Adai is a healthy, protein-rich and nutrient dense lentil crepe.
1/2 cup urad dal
1/4 cup channa dal
1/4 cup split red gram
1/4 cup toor dal
2 cup parboiled rice
4 green chillies
1 inch ginger
1/4 cup chopped coriander leaves
10-12 curry leaves
8 red whole chillies
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1 finely chopped onion
1/4 cup grated coconut
salt to taste
1. Wash and soak the rice and the dals for about 4 hours.
2. Wash and grind the green chillies, ginger, coriander leaves, curry leaves, red chillies and salt.
3.Drain and grind the rice and dal to a coarse batter. Keep aside the batter for about an hour.
4. Mix the grinded paste, asafoetida, chopped onion and coconut to this batter and mix well. Check for salt and keep aside.
5. Heat the dosa griddle, pour one ladle of batter and spread from inside to make a circular shape.
6. Pour oil on sides and centre, cover and cook over low heat.
7. Turn over and pour the oil and let it cook till it is crisp and golden.
8. Serve hot with the chutney and sambar.